You might think that the passage of the Affordable Care Act in 2010 and the resulting opportunities for telemedicine would have led to widespread telemedicine usage to increase access to healthcare while reducing costs, but the reality is that reimbursement from government agencies—such as Medicare—has fallen far behind the rhetoric. And when good intentions aren’t backed up with adequate funding, progress can become slower than molasses.
Telemedicine has certainly grown steadily, but the impact has been felt more significantly among those with private insurance that provides reimbursement for telemedicine visits. Among Medicare beneficiaries, less than 1% have coverage for telemedicine (1). And of those who are fortunate enough to enjoy such coverage, particularly those in rural areas, Medicare often requires the beneficiary to already be at a clinic. So much for making healthcare more convenient. Read more
Last Thursday I promised to discuss our takeaways from the ATA conference individually in more detail, starting with
#1 We’re past the tipping point.
I won’t belabor the point of the overall importance of this takeaway, as you can read about it here. However, I will re-quote ATA CEO Jonathan Linkous because his numbers make a good launching point: “Today, 20 million Americans get some part of their healthcare remotely, and that number will grow as telemedicine expands its reach.” And the ATA President, Edward Brown, believes that mHealth/Telemedicine will grow by 50% every year.
- Adoption of Telemedicine (32)
- American Telemedicine Association (18)
- Announcement (14)
- Behavioral Health (7)
- case study (3)
- Home health (6)
- Interoperability (3)
- mHealth (30)
- Mobile Video Collaboration (17)
- Press Releases (4)
- Reimbursement (8)
- Secure Video Collaboration (35)
- swyMed (49)
- TeleHealth (69)
- TeleMedicine (104)
- Uncategorized (21)
- Maternity Telehealth Program Launched for New MomsMay 17, 2017 - 4:14 pm
- swyMed Partners with Bassett Healthcare Network to Provide Highly Reliable Video Telemedicine Technology for Its School-Based Health CentersMay 16, 2017 - 9:05 am
- Telemedicine Benchmark Survey Reveals the State of the IndustryMay 12, 2017 - 3:17 pm